Tuesday, September 20, 2011

GET OFF MY LAWN!


So I'm a homeowner. Have been for two years now. And what do you get when you own a house? A dog. Meet Frankie.


Frankie is a hyper but lazy dog. He's hyper when something exciting is happening, like going to the park, car rides, giving him milk cartons to play with; and he's lazy the rest of the time. So he typically just sits on the backporch steps 99% of the time he’s outside. I often have to yell at him to get off the deck to actually go do his business when I let him out in the mornings. I think it may have to do with his tether. We don't have a fenced in yard so Frankie is on a 20' braided tether that's anchored in the center of the backyard.

One thing that's always bothered me about where we live is the kids use my backyard as a road between our cul-de-sac and the one behind us. Now, I was raised to NEVER cut across somebody's yard without their permission. I even remember my older brother talking to me about this when I was 8 or 9 years old. Also, you’d think a 40lb dog would deter kids from cutting through the yard.

But tonight the funniest thing happened. We're having our piano tuned so Frankie is sitting on the back porch tied up to his tether.  I'm at the kitchen table when I hear Frankie skate off the deck... Barking! This out of a dog that doesn't bark. "Something’s up" I think to myself, so I go outside to see what’s going on. And Frankie is all fluffed up barking at this kid trying to cut through my yard.
          "HEY!" I yell to him.
          "Hey" he melancholily responds, barely looking up at me but continues on his way down my yard. He’s short; well probably 5’4”; average I guess for a fourteen year old. His long healthy black hair stops just below his shoulders and is died orange for the last four inches. He’s in baggy black jeans and a baggy black t-shirt.
          “What are you doing?” I demand of him.
          He mumbles back at me, this time stopping to acknowledge my existence.
          “Don’t be cutting through my yard. Go around.”
          He mumbles back at me again, but continues on down the yard.
          I figure, “He must not have heard me the first time; I’ll repeat myself so maybe he gets the picture.” “Don’t be cutting through my yard. Go around!” chewing on the words so they sound more authoritative. By this time, Frankie has returned to the deck.
          “I’M LOOKING FOR MY PHONE!”
          “Alright, hurry up! But if my dog gets ya, I ain’t stopping him.”
          To which Frankie responds by darting off the deck at the kid. Lucky for him he was right against my neighbor’s fence and Frankie’s tether stops about two feet shy of the fence. The kid bends down and stands up again (I don’t actually see a phone in his hand but whatever) and heads out of my yard, the same way he came in. But just before he gets out of earshot, I reach down to Frankie and give him a real good pet and say “GOOD DOG!”

GET OFF MY LAWN YOU KIDS

Some pictures of my "vicious attack dog"


Frankie asleep on his pillow

Frankie enjoying a car ride


Sunbathing


"What?"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So not only do you have the worst dog in the world...you're now officially 80. Seriously, you're the only twenty-something I know who yells at kids to get off of his lawn. Bravo, sir.